Thursday 18 September 2014

Mosfet Mayhem

Recently someone asked me where/how I make the mosfets I use in my airsoft rifles. So I decided to share my "secret".

First of, definition on WTF is: Mosfet.
In airsoft terms it is a component that sits between your battery, trigger and motor. It reduces the current traveling through your contact plates of your trigger, extending the life of the trigger plates as well as increasing battery life, trigger response and ROF (rate of fire) [ever so slightly].

There are many different types of mosfets. Some do fancy things like burst fire and active breaking (with fancy micro controllers, wizardry and pixie dust) where as others just drop the current to the trigger.

Everything I've learnt, I learn't off the internet. Here are the different sites where I found the different types of DIY mosfets (in near future I'll do my own walk through of the making processes, but for now here are the web sites)

Simple Mosfet (just does the basic current drop to trigger)















Active breaking Mosfet (Does the basic current drop to trigger as well as some fancy foot work in terms of preventing over rotation of the motor/gears)















555 burst Mosfet (Uses a 555 timer chip to do burst fire and the usual current drop to the trigger)














Currently I'm trying to merge the last 2 types of mosfets are one (so, a 555 burst with active breaking). How that goes...I'll let you guys know when I've tested it.

A lot of people are against active breaking on airsoft aeg (automatic electric gun) as it adds extra tension on gears, motor and battery (seeing as it effectively send a reverse current to the motor to stop it from over rotating). I can definitely see their point, but some of my reading up has shown that if done softly/lightly it will not effect your gears/motor/battery.

In any case hope you guys enjoyed/learnt/at least read through this post, If you have any questions or requests I'll look into them and respond promtly.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trophy Project

So a family friend recently finished his 21th Cape Town Cycle Tour , which is quite the achievement. So I thought I'd make a trophy of s...